We are sorry to inform you that grant awards are no longer available and this Program is closed.
Due to this program’s popularity, the number of applicants that met the eligibility requirements exceeded the available funds. Although we received your application, we cannot award you a grant due to limited funding, which has now all been disbursed based on the Program’s priorities.
To learn more about other programs and incentives for your business from the New York State Empire State Development (ESD), please visit https://esd.ny.gov/ssbci.
NOTE: This website can be translated into various languages using Google Translate; however, Lendistry cannot verify the accuracy. Please review the Program and Application Guides below for the most accurate translation of this Program.
New York State Seed Funding Grant Program
Important 1099 Tax Form Information
Grant proceeds are taxed. If you received a grant from the New York State Seed Funding Grant Program in 2022, you will need to report it on your upcoming 2022 tax returns.
To do so, please retrieve a copy of your 1099 tax form provided by the State of New York.
How can you retrieve your 1099 tax form?
Your 1099 tax form is available at http://www.taxformsdownload.com/. CLICK HERE for a guide with step-by-step instructions on how to retrieve your 1099 tax form.
This guide also provides information on the username and password that you will need to sign in. Once signed in, you may elect to opt-in to download your 1099 tax form electronically or opt-out to receive it by mail.
Important Note: Lendistry and its affiliates do not provide tax, legal or accounting advice. This material has been prepared for informational purposes only and is not intended to provide, and should not be relied on for, tax, legal or accounting advice. Readers should consult their own tax, legal and accounting advisors before completing their tax filings.
THERE ARE NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, AS TO ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, OR RESULTS OBTAINED FROM ANY INFORMATION POSTED IN THIS PRESENTATION OR ANY LINKED WEBSITE.
The New York State Seed Funding Grant Program (the “Program”) was created to provide assistance to early-stage small businesses to succeed in a recovering New York State economy.Eligible Applicants must provide evidence, acceptable to New York State that the Eligible Applicant is operational and meets the Program requirements. As part of the application each micro-business, small business, or for-profit arts and cultural organization including independent arts contractors shall provide sufficient documentation in a manner prescribed by Empire State Development ("ESD") to demonstrate Program qualification. Only one grant per business EIN or SSN is allowed. Due to a limited amount of funding and the high volume of requests expected, business type, geography and industry may factor into ability to receive a grant.
Eligible Business Qualifications
Small businesses, Micro-businesses and For-profit independent arts and cultural organizations, including independent arts contractors submitting an application for a grant award to the Program (collectively, “Eligible Applicants”) must:
- Be incorporated in New York State or licensed or registered to do business in New York State and must be resident in the State of New York;
- Be a currently viable Micro-business, Small business, or For-profit arts and cultural organization including independent arts contractors that started business on September 1, 2018 or later and has been operational for at least six months before an application is submitted;
- Have between five thousand dollars ($5,000) and one million dollars ($1,000,000) in gross receipts per annum as reflected on their most recent Federal Business Tax Return (line 1a, IRS Form 1120 or 1065; line 1 IRS Form 1040 Schedule C) or be able to demonstrate five thousand dollars ($5,000) in business expenses for businesses that have not yet filed a Federal Business Tax Return;
- Be in substantial compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations, codes and requirements;
- Not owe any federal, state or local taxes, or have an approved repayment, deferral plan, or agreement with appropriate federal, state, and local taxing authorities;
- Not qualify for business assistance grant programs under the federal American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 or any other available federal COVID-19 economic recovery or business assistance grant programs, including loans forgiven under the federal Paycheck Protection Program, or are unable to obtain sufficient business assistance from such federal programs.*
* Eligible Applicants may have received or been awarded the following federal assistance:
- Paycheck Protection Program loans totaling $250,000 or less.
- Economic Injury Disaster Loan (EIDL) for COVID-19 of any size.
- COVID-19 EIDL Advance Grant of any size.
- COVID-19 EIDL Supplemental Targeted Advance Grant of any size.
- SBA Shuttered Venue Operators Grant of any size.
- Restaurant Revitalization Fund Grant of any size.
- Did not qualify for business assistance under the New York State COVID-19 Pandemic Small Business Recovery Grant Program.
- All non-profits, churches and other religious institutions;
- Government-owned entities or elected official offices;
- Businesses primarily engaged in political or lobbying activities;
- Landlords and passive real estate businesses.
The following costs incurred between September 1, 2018 and January 1, 2022 shall be considered eligible for the program. These include:
- Payroll costs; or
- Commercial rent or mortgage payments for NYS-based property; or
- Payment of local property or school taxes associated with a small business location in NYS; or
- Insurance costs; or
- Utility costs; or
- Costs of personal protection equipment (PPE) necessary to protect worker and consumer health and safety; or
- Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) costs; or
- Other machinery or equipment costs; or
- Supplies and materials necessary for compliance with COVID-19 health and safety protocols; or
- Other documented COVID-19 costs as approved by ESD.
Ineligible Uses of Funds
- Grants awarded under the Program shall not be used to re-pay or pay down any portion of a loan obtained through a federal coronavirus relief package for business assistance or any New York State business assistance programs.
- Eligible Applicants must provide evidence, acceptable to New York State that the Eligible Applicant is operational and meets the Program requirements.
- As part of the application each micro-business, small business, or for-profit arts and cultural organization including independent arts contractors shall provide sufficient documentation in a manner prescribed by Empire State Development (“ESD”) to demonstrate Program qualification, and mitigate fraud, waste, and abuse. Only one grant per business EIN or SSN is allowed.
- Due to a limited amount of funding and the high volume of requests expected, business type, geography and industry may factor into ability to receive a grant.